Thursday, November 10, 2011

Glassware + Spraypaint = Tons of Fun

I think I might be in love.  I saw this idea on Pinterest on how to turn old dishes, cups, vases & candle holders into tiered serving trays.  I created two for serving food at home and another one for my scrapbooking desk.  Just looking at it makes me so happy!  So here are some much anticipated pictures.

 So this is the first one that I created.  I bought all these items at my local thrift store, which is a great place to get single items at a great price.  So I kept the glassware, silver platter and bowl just like when I bought them.  The red plate is a glass plate.  But since spray paint isn't food safe, I painted and sealed the bottom of the plate.  This way I get to see the beautiful color, but can still put food on the plate.  To combine all the pieces I used a silicone Household Adhesive Sealant by DAP, which is food safe.

 I used the same paint technique on this glass plate and then attached it to the frosted vase to create an elevated plate.
 This is the most recent tiered display I created.  The purple and teal plates are really glass plates that have been spray painted.  The bottom bowl and plate I picked up at the thrift store for 1/2 off.  The goblet and candlestick holder are from the Dollar Tree.  These colors make me so happy and I love how open it feels because I kept the glass clear.

I have been loving these displays so much that I wanted one in my office.  So I set off on a mission to the Dollar Tree.  I call it a mission because I went in the afternoon with my four-year-old in tow.  I picked up the bowl and two plates along with the candlestick holder there.  The bottom piece of glass is a martini glass (I got a set of two for $1.00 at my thrift store.)  So this beautiful display set me back $4.50.  Especially since I already had the spray paint.  Once I got this all set up I put my ribbon scraps in the bowl on top, my stickles, microbeads & glitter on the middle shelf and my spray inks on the bottom shelf.

So this is one of my favorite projects that I have been working on because they are all for ME!  Now, if you know me, you should know that I never end up keeping the projects that I make.  I have also become obsessed with checking out my local thrift store several times per month for wonderful new glass items for these displays.  Spray paint is SO my new friend.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...