Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My New Jewelry Box

This is probably going to be one of my longer posts since I have lots to share!  In preparation for our big move coming up I have been going through things and trying to downsize.  I have had a large oak jewelry box from my Mother-In-Law for probably almost 8 years now and since I don’t have nor wear much jewelry it is pretty much empty.  So I have been on the lookout for a smaller jewelry box, but all the ones I have seen and liked are around $50, which I am not willing to spend.  So a few weeks ago, I went shopping again and still didn’t find what I was looking for, so I ended up at Michael’s.  Well after some shopping, debating and comparing I ended up buying this wooden box (using my 40% off coupon).

IMG_7018

Now I also bought: a container of black acrylic paint, 2 sheets of black adhesive-backed felt and 2 sheets of patterned paper (which was on sale!)  I spent less than $10 (including tax). 

So when I got home, I took off all the hardware (you can see in the picture above that it is all gone) and painted it all with the black paint.  Once it was dry I cut my patterned paper to fit on all the sides and top.  I used some Modge Podge that I had to adhere the paper.  The next morning I sprayed the whole box with some clear sealer, since the Modge Podged parts will stick to the other things if together long enough.  I then cut the felt to fit in the drawer and compartments and stuck in in place.  I also had enough left over that I covered the bottom too.  Then I just had to put all the hardware back on.  Now here are the pictures of the finished product!

IMG_7122

IMG_7124

IMG_7125

IMG_7129

IMG_7130

Now as a side note, my Mom bought me the Vinyl Starter Kit for my Silhouette Digital Cutter for Christmas and I finally got to use it.  I used a design from the Silhouette store and cut it out of the white vinyl and applied it to the front of the glass top.  I have to admit that I AM IN LOVE!!  I am loving how the vinyl worked out so well.  I am already thinking about what else I might want to add vinyl to and what other colors I just HAVE TO HAVE!!

IMG_7123

Thank you so much for checking out this super fun project!

5 comments:

Heather M said...

That is beautiful! I love the color & your vinyl design.

PattyC said...

That is so cute! I love the paper that you used.

Beth Hallgren said...

Wow! What a transformation, beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love it! It is beautiful!

Steffanie said...

Very pretty! Nice work :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...