Monday, May 27, 2013

A couple of thoughts on Memorial Day…

There are two very special men in my family that have/are serving in the Military. 

My grandfather served in World War II as part of the Army Air Corp.  While growing up, I always loved and looked up to him, but it wasn’t until my husband joined the Army that we even really talked about his service.  During the eight years that my husband was in the Army while he was alive we had many long conversations about the military.  I more that I learned from him, the more respect I had for him.  It has been almost a year since I lost him, and I still miss him every single day.  For so many years I thought of him as just my grandfather, so when he received his military honors at his funeral, it caught me by surprise.  I was so proud of his service to our country, but I will admit that having my husband still serving it was hard to sit through that part of the service.

In a couple of months, my husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary.  This fall will mark his 9th year in the Army.  I am so proud of his service.  He has been on three deployments that were each a year long, there has also been various military schools, training sessions that have kept us apart.  He is one of the strongest men that I know.  The military isn’t always the easiest of lives, but I know he is very proud to serve and I am proud to stand by his side.

So today, on Memorial Day, I think of not only the soldiers currently serving, but all of those who have served our wonderful country.  Soldiers might now always agree with the politics, but they do their job and know that doing that job might just come at the cost of their lives.  That is a price they are willing to pay.  So, please take a moment today to think of all of those who have served or are currently serving.  And don’t forget about all of us civilians that love our soldiers, because they aren’t the only ones who pay the price of service.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...