With how my room is set up, when you look into my space you can see right under my scrap table. This is the first time that it has been a problem, and it is only a problem to me. I love the function of my plastic storage drawers, but I can’t say I care for the look.
So here is a picture from before:
Now I will say that the furniture on the back wall has moved around a lot. It has taken me a while to really figure out where I want things to be so that I can easily access the things that I use.
With bright teal paint on two walls and a bright rug, I decided that I wanted white sheer curtains. I found these white sheer curtains with a floral burn out pattern at Ikea for only $20 (the package has both curtain panels). All I needed to do was to shorten the curtains to make them work perfectly.
When I decided that I wanted something to cover the area below my desk I first went to the fabric store. I was thinking some sort of fabric that had a teal pattern to it. But after looking around I was really worried that another strong pattern/color would be way to much for this small space. So I then looked at some sheer fabric at the store, which even on sale would have set me back a lot more than the $20 for the curtains, and I would have another pattern/texture in the room. So instead I swung by Ikea and ran in and quickly bought another set of the curtains. I also needed to make a trip to Jo-Ann’s and I found a package of Velcro that had one side of sew-on and the other side of sticky back…and it was 6 feet long, which was perfect. So with a 50% off coupon it only cost be about $7.
So I took both panels and sewed them together so that it was twice as long. Then cut it to the right height (plus two inches for a fold over seam). I then gathered the top edge and sewed it onto the velcro. So in less than one day I have this adorable skirt for my desk that matches my curtains. I am in love with the new look!!
Thanks for joining me today for this little sewing project!