Thursday, August 25, 2016

How to make enamel style dots from perler beads

I have been seeing some online friends trying to make their own enamel style dots from perler beads.  These beads can be found in the kid section of most craft stores.  My daughter has been playing with these for years and I have a HUGE bucket of the regular size beads.  On a recent trip to the craft store my husband saw these mini perler beads and I decided to make some mini dots when I was at it.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
The first thing I did was to grab my cookie sheet (really I use a quarter sheet pan).  The instructions I saw used parchment paper, but I didn't have any so I turned to my handy dandy silicone mat (these came in a three pack at Costco).  I had tried this method before on parchement paper and had trouble getting the beads to stay in place.  This time with the silicone mat it was SO MUCH EASIER!

After sitting and placing the beads on the mat...they should be standing up on the end...I placed them in a 320 degree oven for 15 minutes.  The picture below is from within the first 15 minutes.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
After 15 minutes you need to rotate the pan and continue letting them bake for another 15 minutes (30 minutes total).  If at the end of the 30 minutes you see any dents in the tops of the dots continue baking for 2-3 minutes until the top has smoothed out.  The picture below is after I removed them from the oven.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
This is what the mini perler beads look like.  They melt to really small dots.  The timing for these is more hit or miss, meaning I only made one batch and it was kind of a guess.  I started with 10 minutes and then rotated the pan.  I then checked it after an additional 5 minutes and then every few minutes until there were no dents in the top.

Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
This next picture is of a regular melted perler bead and two mini melted perler beads.  I love the variety of sizes I can make.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
Now as an extra note....you can form the beads into any shape you want by placing beads next to each other (as in touching) on the cookie sheet and baking until they melt into one solid shape.  It will take a lot longer then the single beads, but it is super easy to do and just requires watching them.  My husband made this cute emoji.

Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson

I sure hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you will enjoy making your own enamel style dots.  These beads are super affordable and come in a wide range of colors!

Thanks for joining me!
- Cassie -


1 comment:

Susanne said...

Now I am wishing I hadn't tossed the last of those beads that I found in the kids' closet. Cool project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...