Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Photo Transfer onto Wood Tutorial

I love pinterest and spend way too much time in the evenings browsing the site while I unwind from the day.  I first saw this idea quite a while ago and finally decided to look into how to transfer a photo onto a piece of wood.

I bought this bottle of Mod Podge Photo Transfer Medium at Michael's.  It was on the shelf for $9.99 and I used a 50% off coupon.  The most important part that I learned from all of the tutorials was that you need a laser or copier print (so a print that uses toner) instead of an inkjet print.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
I trimmed my photo down to the size of the wood.  I used a piece of wax paper to protect my desk and started applying the photo transfer medium to the front of my picture.  Look, this stuff is really thick, but don't worry it is suppose to be.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
The instructions say to apply a thick layer.  The whole picture should be white, to the point where you can't see the image.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
This was my piece of wood.  For this one I used a piece of pallet wood that I cut and then sanded smooth.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
You then flip the photo over, so the painted part goes against the wood.  You can slightly lift it up and move it to get it straight.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
You then want to smooth it out to remove any air bubbles and to smooth out the transfer medium.  After it is smooth you need to wait 24 hours (or over night).  For this one I waited over 12 hours. 

**NOTE**  Some of the photo transfer moved onto the wood outside of the picture when I was smoothing it, I left it, but then had to sand those parts of the wood to remove it the next day.  So next time I would use a damp rag and carefully wipe the excess off before it dries.  The paper is fragile at this point so be careful!
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
The next day you start with a wet rag and wet the top of the paper.  You then slowly work over the whole thing to get the surface wet and start rubbing away the paper.  At first it will seem to be working really well and fast.  That is really just the first part of the paper.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
I just slowly went across the whole piece and rubbed it off.  You will get balls and clumps of the paper and I just made a pile as I was working to get rid of at the end.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
As you can see, this is from just the first time of rubbing it with the wet rag.  At first glance it looks pretty good, but as it drys you will see that it seems really fuzzy.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
This is a close up.  This is paper that is remaining on top of the transfer.  It will take several times of rubbing it off with a wet and then damp rag and letting it dry before you can tell that you got it all off.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
Once it is all done and dry, you apply a coat of regular Mod Podge (I used matte, since it is what I already had) to seal it all together.  After the coat of Mod Podge dries it is finished.
Copyright: Cassie Wiscarson
Thanks for joining me!  Let me know if you have any questions!

- Cassie -

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Another cool project - you are on a roll.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...